A WELSH care provider is this month (June, 2017) offering free tips to the elderly and their carers to help keep them cool as the nation experiences soaring temperatures.
Abacare says it is important that people understand the risks associated with the heat and act accordingly.
Ffion Evans, Registered Manager at Abacare, which has offices in Bangor, Newtown, RCT and Ystradgynlais, said: “High temperatures can be dangerous, especially for people who may be particularly vulnerable, such as the elderly.
“It is essential that older people stay cool and I can’t stress this enough, especially if there are several hot days in a row.
“We’ve put together a list of top tips the elderly can follow in order to stay cool in the heat:
- Turn off non-essential lights and electrical equipment, such as computers and printers, to avoid generating additional heat
- Keep curtains closed to block out heat
- If possible, sleep in a cooler room at night
- Eat cooler foods such as salads and drink plenty of water
- Avoid too much physical activity as it can cause you to over heat
- If going outside, always wear a hat and sunglasses.
“Our carers will be making sure all our users are keeping as cool as they can in the coming days. We will also be offering anyone who calls us free advice and they don’t have to be a carer or user of ours, anyone can call in for assistance.”